I was running a little quiz and a guy made a joke about looking up answers on his phone.
Him: But you’re a digital person aren’t you? It’s technology!
Me: I believe in technology for good, and not evil.
I can barely remember what life was like before search engines. Not because I am young, but because Googling has become so automatic.
There is barely a nanosecond between thinking “I wonder …” and someone tapping on search engine results. We have no time for pondering and musing. And everyone is a proxy expert.
Here are some things I Googled this week. Was this using technology for good?
- Balayage. Freehand hair colouring technique. I’ve recently fired up my old Instagram account again , and there are entire accounts filled with bespoke heads of highlights.
- Getting chicken fat out of suede. It happens.
- Seokmin Ko. A Korean artist who holds up giant mirrors in beautiful places. See his wonderful art.
- Harpy. Mythical bird women. See photo below that I took at The National Maritime Museum. Who knew that they were so well-proportioned?
- Female astronauts. Because my daughter wants to be one.
Pingback: Hype cycle of life | A life less digital